Asparagus is a sure sign that spring has sprung! Put a little Asian twist on your fresh spring asparagus with this delicious stir-fry recipe featuring not only asparagus, but also green onions and mushrooms.
Recipe from The Garden Grazer
1 lb. Fresh Asparagus*
1 lb. Mushrooms* of choice
2 -3 Green Onions* (optional)
1 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame Oil
2 tsp. Sesame Seeds (for garnish)
For the Garlic Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth (or Bone Broth)
- 2 Tbsp. Tamari (or Soy Sauce)
- 2–3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch (or other thickener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly Grated Ginger (optional)
- Make the sauce: Mince garlic, and add all sauce ingredients to a small bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Halve or quarter the mushrooms (wiped clean). Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces, woody ends removed. Slice green onions, if using.
- In a large skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat, add sesame oil.
- When hot, carefully add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and green onions. Cook another 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Re-stir the sauce, then add to skillet. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes (or until vegetables are desired tenderness).
- Garnish with sesame seeds and spoon any remaining sauce over the vegetables before serving if desired.
*available from local producers at Countryside Farmers’ Market