This is a KID APPROVED kale salad! You heard us right! The kids at the market loved it and you will too. With the use of a food processor, you can get this kale salad finely chopped, eliminating the rough kale leaves that many find to be undesirable.
- 1 large bunch Kale*, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ Sweet Onion* or Green Onions*, sliced into thin rounds
- ½ cup Spelt Berries, dry
- ¼ cup Toasted Walnuts n’ Tart Cherries* from Savory Snackage (optional)
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic* or a Garlic Scape*, minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
*available from local producers at Countryside Farmers’ Market at Howe Meadow
- Cook Spelt Berries: Add soaked spelt berries to a pot with 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer, covered for about 40 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a small fry pan. Add onions and cook to your preference. Set aside.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse kale until you achieve 1/4 inch sized pieces. Transfer to a bowl and add cooked onions, spelt berries, toasted walnuts n’ cherries(optional), cheese(optional), and dressing. Toss until well combine and ENJOY!
Notes: You can skip the second step and put the onions into the salad raw. If you don’t have a food processor, you can finely chop kale by hand.