This popular southern dish is about to become a popular northern dishes too! Using farm fresh ingredients took this dish to the next level. Nothing beats the combination of that crispy outside layer along with that perfectly tender green tomato – PERFECTION!
- 3 medium Firm Green Tomatoes, cut into ½ inch slices
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup Spelt Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Cornmeal
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Salt tomato slices and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder.
- In another small bowl, beat eggs.
- In a third small bowl, combine cornmeal, bread crumbs & salt.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Pat tomatoes dry with a paper towel. One by one, dip into flour mixture, then egg, then breadcrumb mixture, then place into the pan. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove tomatoes from pan and place on a paper towel to drain off excess oil. Serve alongside your favorite sauce & ENJOY!