Kale is a versatile green that can be used in a plethora of dishes! Why should you give it a try? Just 1 cup of kale can provide over 20% of daily needs of Vitamin C, and over 65% of daily Vitamin K needs! This means that introducing kale into your diet will boost your immune system, body growth, and bone metabolism – just to name a few.
Now that you know why you should eat it, where should you buy it?
Most people have heard that buying local is better, but are sometimes discouraged by the difference in price. At Countryside Farmers’ Markets, kale is currently selling for about $1/oz. For the most accurate comparison, we chose to compare the kale from our vendors to an organic kale sold at a popular grocery store. Look below to see some of the benefits of spending a little more!
Farmers’ Market Baby Kale
- Price: about $1/oz
- Picked at peak times of ripeness, and is in your hands just hours after harvesting – ensuring maximum amounts of nutrients and freshness
- Travels less than 75 miles – having a minimal carbon footprint
- Many of our farmers practice composting, thus minimizing waste that goes to the landfill
- You know your kale is safely grown because you can talk directly to the farmer. Don’t buy your food from strangers!
- Your dollar goes directly to the farmer, allowing them to continue producing the best products
Grocery Store Baby Kale
- Price: about $0.80/oz
- Picked before it is ripe and sits many days, possibly weeks, during transport before it reaches you
- May travel 1500 miles or more – having a very large carbon footprint
- Shipping requires boxes or other packaging, thus increasing waste that goes to the landfill
- You do not have the opportunity to create a relationship with your farmer or learn more about their farming methods
- Your dollar will be split multiple ways, with the farmer getting a much smaller cut than those selling directly would get
We hope this sheds some light on the differences between produce at the Farmers’ Market versus produce at the grocery store. But don’t take it from us, visit the market and discover the perks of buying local for yourself! Did you know that our market also accepts the Ohio Direction Card (SNAP/EBT)? In addition, SNAP customers also receive Produce Perks, a dollar-for-dollar match (up to $20) for the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables – learn more here! We can’t wait for you to fill your shopping bags with kale and cook up something delicious.