Zacusca is a Romanian vegetable spread popularly served on bread or as a relish for meats.
Makes 4-6 serving
1 medium Eggplant
2 Bell Peppers
Oil, as needed
1/2 an Onion
2 Jalapeño Peppers (optional)
1 large Tomato
Salt & Pepper, to taste
6 slices Bread
- Using a fork, poke a few holes in the eggplant.
- Bake eggplant and peppers on a foil lined sheet at 400°F for 20 minutes. Remove peppers and bake eggplant longer if needed. The skin should blacken.
- Remove skin from eggplant and seeds from peppers.
- Place eggplant and peppers into a blender or food processor and process until chunky.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add chopped onion and chopped jalapeños. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to the pan. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until everything breaks down. Simmer up to 90 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Adjust seasonings, spread on toast, and enjoy!